Next Comes 5!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Friday, January 25, 2008

Kicking???

Since the midwife informed us that our baby is practicing gymnastics and soccer in my womb with fantastic ferocity I have been trying really hard to feel the baby. At my stage and weight I knew that it was possible, so I felt like I just really needed to "listen." Every night I place my hands on my tummy and breathe deeply, trying to quiet my body and listen only to baby. I've been so disappointed because I haven't felt a thing. I thought that if I concentrated hard enough then my womanly powers would come through and help connect me to our child!
Then, yesterday morning, there was something new: I had just gotten into the shower and was standing there trying to defrost when I felt a flicker. That's all it was, and that's the only way to describe it. Just a little flicker in my tummy, and then it was gone and I was left wondering if I had actually felt anything at all. Of course it would happen when I'm not even concentrating! Even though I'm skeptical, Travis has no doubt in his mind that it was our baby. Travis has much more faith our ability to connect with our baby than I do! Last night Travis was resting his head on my stomach and humming a song to the baby and he insisted that he could "hear" the baby in my tummy. We used to spend a lot of time in the grass at the horse stable with his head on my stomach looking up at the sky, and he insists that he's never heard anything similar to the ruckus inside my tummy now!
So, we'll see. I do feel somewhat strongly that yesterday marks the first time that the baby connected to the outside world, but I think it will take more time and experience before I can be sure of where my body stops and our baby begins.

1 comment:

Ruth said...

OOOHHHHHHHH I am sooo happy for you! How exciting! And I really love that you rub your tummy every night and listen to Romia! That is so awesome and special. Earlier you wrote about how hard it is to maintain that magic, the spirituality, but it sounds like you are doing a great job. By the way, Brad always thought my tummy sounded busier when I was pregnant too. Oh I am just so so happy for you and this crazy little drooly baby you are creating. I am going to give father the address for you blog too if you don't mind.

Your new house is totally amazing too. You soon to be 3 deserve all the good that is coming your way. Congrats!

Kick little Romia kick. Your mommy needs a beat down!