Next Comes 5!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Saturday, July 12, 2008

A little bit about Sophia

Hi everyone! Sophia Joy is sleeping quietly next to me, so I think I might be able to get through a little post right now! She isn't difficult at all...all she does is sleep, eat, and poop and pee. She doesn't cry very much...when she's hungry she'll start making cute little noises and licking her lips, which is enough to wake me out of a dead sleep at 3am (miracle, I know!). She cries when she poops her diaper, but as soon as we lay her on the changing table she quiets down. It's so amazing to me that we're already starting to understand her...the day that I brought her home was so scary, and I worried that I would never be able to soothe her because she was so unfamiliar!
Sophia was born at 6:46am on Tuesday the 8th. She weighed just 6lbs, 2oz! She was 18" long and came out with her eyes open and screaming! My water actually broke on the 4th of July, but it was a really slow leak and so I chalked it up to peeing my pants. Finally, on the 7th, I thought that maybe we should check with the hospital, just to be safe. I called and told them that I wasn't sure if I was leaking amniotic fluid or not, and they told me that it was probably nothing, but that I should come in to get checked out, just to be safe.
Travis and I got to the hospital at 7pm on Monday night and they checked me out, and told me that my water was broken! Since it had been broken for a few days they said I needed to be induced, because of the risk of infection. I was so stunned! I did not feel like having a baby, and was disappointed that I would have to be induced. Travis and I skipped and hopped and power-walked circles around the birthing center until midnight, trying to get my labor revved up naturally, but to no avail. At midnight they induced me and I labored for about 6 hours. I didn't have any pain killers, and the contractions were definitely very intense. I spent my whole labor in the jacuzzi tub! To be honest, I couldn't even get out. Every time I tried I would have a contraction and would slip back into the water! Not that a tub is a bad place to labor.
I started pushing right around 6am. It was so amazing to feel the pressure of her head right away, and everyone kept exclaiming over how much hair she had! Travis was in tears and encouraging me the whole time, and I really latched onto the strength of his love during pushing. Pushing was hard work, and I'm glad it lasted for a little under an hour!
Birthing Sophia was the least painful and most wonderful part...she just slipped out and they put her up on my chest and I felt so overwhelmed. I expected that I would cry, but I didn't...it just felt so surreal!
We spent that whole day in the hospital and had visitors from 9am to almost 9pm, which sounds intense, but I was so happy to see everybody and didn't even feel tired! That first night was really scary because Sophia wouldn't stop crying. Finally at 3am I had to ask a nurse to take her for an hour so that I could take a nap...I hadn't slept in about 40 hours at that point and giving birth is rather taxing! After they brought Sophia back things got a lot better, and she moved out of her crying phase.
We left the hospital on Wednesday at about noon (so, we checked in on Mon at 7pm, gave birth on Tues at 6:46am, and left on Wednesday!). It felt great to get home, and we've spent our time since then just holding Sophia and taking naps, watching movies, organizing the nursery, getting some work done around the house, hanging out with family, and we went to Pier 1 with her yesterday! Her first outing! :) She was great, but doesn't like being strapped into the carseat.
So, there's the run-down! I should go take a shower while she's still sleeping...we're going to a wedding today! So, that also means that Sophia's getting her first bath today...yikes! Haha. We'll pull through.
Some amazing things about her? How tiny and beautiful she is (Travis keeps saying that it's so hard to objectively ascertain whether or not she truly is the most beautiful baby he's ever seen!), the amount of poop something so small can generate, the way nursing her feels, how heartbreakingly adorable all her little noises and faces are, and how intensely we love her already. She is a miracle, and there is no better middle name for our little Sophia Joy.

2 comments:

Ruth said...

You are freaking amazing! And you are--of course--still wonderful crazy Jenn, so that is good. I love love love all of this (though I still can't believe you have time for it). I think that between your mom, sisters-in-law, and me you have heard and seen so much baby raising stuff you are basically like a second time mom! Kidding, kind of. You are seriously so much more relaxed and comfortable then I was. Congrats again on everything. Though I am obviously jealous of your severe writhing pain (I mean naturual childbirth) I am mostly super happy and proud of you. Funny too that I "helped." Glad I did though!!

I am also sooo so happy we got to chat today! You sound wonderful! I always forget to ask all my questions though. Are you doing "skin to skin time?" Which CMD did you have? Did you see the umbilical cord and placenta? Do you have pictures of Sophia all gross before she was cleaned? Did they put her right on you? Did Travis get some time off work? Are you checking your email, because maybe that would be a more appropriate place for these questions? :-) (Of course responses are not required! Or maybe within say six months or so.)

Basically, I am so happy for you all! Yay for the Williams family!

JG said...

Hey Ruth! I'm going to give you some quick answers:
We are having lots of "skin to skin time" (especially Travis), Christa delivered our baby (she's not our primary midwife but she's our 2nd fave and she was great!), I saw the umbilical cord but not the placenta, we don't have pics of Sophia all gross (they cleaned her too fast!), they put her right on me, Travis took a week off from work and plans to take off a little more time here and there. I have a story about the placenta, too, but I think I'm going to write a post about it, so stay tuned!
It was so awesome to talk to you, and yes, you are totally right that I am like a 2nd time mom after all the guidance and stories that I get from you and my sis in laws! I am so lucky that I can rely on you for advice and mommy-wisdom and I totally believe that I have the better deal with having my baby after you had yours--it's almost like I'm cheating! :) I love you so much and hope that I can be as good at being a mom as you are.